Monday 31 October 2016

Some quirky memories

A few final funny memories from our residents at Glenmoor- a naughty dog, a stolen bike and some strict old ladies...

I was friendly with the neighbour’s daughter, Alice, and she had a bicycle. I was ten years old. She rode it and I sat on the back seat, and we went to Vernon Park, a mile and a half away. It was late summer. Up and down the hills, freewheeling all the way. It had new tyres on it. We played in the park until we were tired out and it was starting to get dark. But the bike was gone.

We went to the police station. The policeman, Bobby Walsh, asked how many bikes there were. I said only one.
“You’re a lad, and you’re sitting on the back?” he said. He took us home, and Grandma saw me first, and got me tucked up in bed before I could get a belting.


I had an Aunty Martha in Oldham. One day I was drawing something and she shouted at my mother. “Ethel! What’s he doing with a coloured crayon? It’s Sunday. Give him a pencil.”

She had a mahogany table with fancy legs, but on Sundays she covered the legs up with red blankets. Maybe she thought I’d start imagining ladies walking down the road! There’s good and bad in every religion. Aunty Martha did her best to be a good Christian.

-James

My grandmother, my dad’s mother, she rustled when she walked down the hall. She would only go in the sitting room on Sundays, when the vicar called.


We had a dog called Gyp, a Spaniel . He was a pup and one day we were going out, so my mother thought we’ll put him in the tall cupboard in the kitchen. He’ll be safe in there. When we came back he was looking very sheepish.

Then later it was time for Dad to get ready for the Home Guard and he was looking for his gaiters. We looked high and low but we never found them. The dog must have chewed and chewed them. They’re known for chewing, Spaniels.

You’d have thought Mum would have been wiser!

-Janet

Thanks once again to all the residents for sharing their stories and making this such a fascinating experience, and to Rachel and all the other staff at Glenmoor House for helping me so much with this project. Many thanks also to Made in Corby and the Arts Council for their support and advice.

1 comment:

  1. Azma - I know how much the residents have enjoyed your sessions with them at Glenmoor House in Corby. The benefits are clear to see and I wish you luck. I hope that this spurs us on to continue such reminiscence work across all our other care homes.

    ReplyDelete